About meI am a professor at the Department of Electronics and Information Engineering, Huazhong University of Science and Technology (HUST). I received my Ph.D. in Communication and Information Engineering, HUST. My research interests focus on Computer Vision, Pattern Recognition, and Deep Learning. I lead the Vision and Learning Representation Group, which is part of Media and Communication Lab, HUST. Here are some ongoing projects:
- Segmentation, Grouping and Shape Representation
- OCR: Scene Text Detection and Recognition Slice (2014), Slice (2017), Keynote of ICDAR17, Keynote of CBDAR19
- 3D Vision, Multi-Sensor Fusion
- Image Synthesis
- July, 2020, I'll serve as an area chair of IJCAI'21.
- July, 2020: Named as IAPR Fellow 2020.
- June,v2020: Congratulations to Dr. Xinwei He!
- April, 2020: I'll serve as an area chair for ICDAR'21.
- Feb., 2020: I'll serve as an area chair for ICPR'20 and ACCV'20.
- Jan., 2020: I'll serve as an area chair for CVPR'21 and ACM MM'20.
- Nov., 2019: I will serve as an AE of PAMI.
- Oct.,2019: It's cool I'll serve as a general chair of VALSE 2021, Hangzhou.
- Sep., 2019: I gave a keynote talk entitled "Irregular Text Detection and Recognition" at CBDAR2019 of ICDAR19, Sydney. [ppt]
- Aug, 2019: I gave a talk on "OCR in the Wild: Recent Developments, Challenges and Future Trends" for the Early Career Spotlight track at IJCAI 2019, Macao.
- July, 2019: I'm the recipient of IAPR/ICDAR Young Investigator Award 2019.
- Jan.,2019: I received AAAI-2019 Outstanding SPC Award.
- Sep., 2018: The 14th IAPR Int. Workshop on Document Analysis Systems (DAS'20) will be organized by HUST.
- May, 2018: Congratulations to Dr. Song Bai and Dr. Baoguang Shi! Wish they will have a bright future.
- Nov., 2017: Keynote Speech: "Deep Neural Networks for Scene Text Reading Revisited" at ICDAR 2017, Kyoto. [ppt]
- Nov., 2017: ICDAR2017 Competiton on Reading Chinese Scene Text in the Wild (RCTW-17) was successfully done.
- July, 2017: I was identified as a "CVPR 2017 Outstanding Reviewer".
- April., 2017: The invited talk "Oriented Scene Text Detection Revisited" at VALSE 2017, Xiamen. [ppt]
- March, 2016: We achieved the first place in Shrec2016 competition: Large-Scale 3D Shape Retrieval under the perturbed case.
Selected Recent Publications
Z. Zhu, Z. Xu, A. You, X. Bai. Semantically Multi-modal Image Synthesis. CVPR, 2020. [project page][code].
M. Liao, Z. Wan, C. Yao, K. Chen, X. Bai. Real-Time Scene Text Detection with Differentiable Binarization. AAAI, 2020. (Oral) [code]
M. Liao, P. Lyu, M. He, C. Yao, W. Hu, X. Bai. Mask TextSpotter: An End-to-End Trainable Neural Network for Spotting Text with Arbitrary Shapes. IEEE Trans. on PAMI, to appear. [code]
Z. Zhu, T. Huang, B. Shi, M. Yu, B. Wang, X. Bai. Progressive Pose Attention Transfer for Person Image Generation, CVPR, 2019. (Oral) [code]
B. Shi, M. Yang, X. Wang, P. Lyu, C. Yao, X. Bai. ASTER: An Attentional Scene Text Recognizer with Flexible Rectification. IEEE Trans. on PAMI, 41(9): 2035-2048, 2019. [code1][code2]
M. Liao, B. Shi, X. Bai. TextBoxes++: A Single-Shot Oriented Scene Text Detector. IEEE Trans. on Image Proc., 27(8): 3676-3690, 2018. [code]
B. Shi, X. Bai, C. Yao. An End-to-End Trainable Neural Network for Image-based Sequence Recognition and Its Application to Scene Text Recognition. IEEE Trans. on PAMI , 39(11): 2298-2304, 2017. [music score recognition datasets] [code1](Torch) [code2](Pytorch)
Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intellingence (2020-), China Science: Information Science (2019-), ACTA AUTOMATICA SINICA (2018-), Pattern Recognition (2017-), Patten Recognition Letters (2016-2019), Frontier of Computer Science (2015-), Neurocomputing (2015-2019)
Area Chair or CVPR21, IJCAI21, ICDAR21, CVPR20, ACM MM 20, ACCV20, ICPR20, ICDAR19, ACCV18, ICPR18, ICIP17, MVA17.
Senior TPC of AAAI (19-20), IJCAI (17-20).
Guest Editor of SI: Scene Text Reading and its Applications, Pattern Recognition, 2019;
Guest Editor of Special Section on Deep Learning, Journal of Computer Science and Technology, 2017;
Guest Editor of SI: Multi-Instance Learning in Pattern Recognition and Vision, Pattern Recognition, 2017;
Guest Editor of SI: Deep Learning Applications in Computer Vision, Frontier of Computer Science, 2017;
Guest Editor of SI: Efficient Shape Representation, Matching, Ranking, and its Applications, Pattern Recognition Letters, 2016.
Program Chair of the 14th IAPR Int. Workshop on Document Anaylsis Systems (DAS'20), Wuhan.
General Chair of the 10th Vision and Learning Seminar (VALSE'20), Hangzhou.
Contest Chair of IAPR International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR'18), Beijing, 2018..
General Chair of the 6th Vision and Learning Seminar (VALSE'16), Wuhan.
Program Chair of the 1st IEEE SPS Signal and Data Science Forum (SIDAS'16), Wuhan.
Co-organizer of the 1st Int. Workshop on Deep Learning for Document Analysis and Recognition (DLDAR'18), in conjunction with ICPR'18.
Co-organizer of the 1st Int. Workshop on Deep Learning for Pattern Recognition (DLPR'16), in conjunction with ICPR'16.
Co-organizer of the 2nd Int. Workshop on Deep Learning for Pattern Recognition (DLPR'18), in conjunction with ICPR'18.
Co-organizer of the 3rd Int.Workshop on Robust Reading (IWRR'18), in conjunction with ACCV'18.
Co-organizer of special session on Visual Semantic Learning form Big Surveillance Data (VISA), WCCI/IJCNN'16.
Co-organizer of ICDAR 2019 Competition on Scanned Receipts OCR and Information Extraction
Co-organizer of ICDAR 2019 RRC on Reading Chinese Text on Signboard
Co-organizer of ICPR 2018 Contest on Contest on Object Detection in Aerial Images (ODAI'18).
Co-organizer of ICDAR 2017 Competition on Reading Chinese Text in the wild (RCTW'17).
TPC of CVPR (08-18), ICCV (09-17), ECCV (10-18), NIPS (15-18), ICLR (18-19), ICML (18), AAAI (17-18), AISTAT (17-19), etc;
Reviewers of more than 40 int. journals including TPAMI, IJCV, TIP, TKDE, Pattern Recognition, TNNLS, TMM, TCYB, TIE, TIST, TVCG, IVC, CVIU, PRL, SPL, IJDAR, IJPRAI, etc.
Awards and Honors
IAPR Fellow, IAPR/ICDAR Young Investigator Award, 2019; AAAI Outstanding SPC Award, 2019; Most Cited Chinese Researchers, 2014-2018; National Program for Support of Top-notch Young Professionals, 2016; Program for HUST Academic Frontier Youth Team, 2016; Hongshan District Outstanding Youth, 2014; Excellent Young Scientist Foundation of NSFC 2012; New century excellent talent of Ministry of Education, 2012; Hubei Province Outstanding Doctoral Thesis, 2011; Microsoft Fellowship 2007.
- Xiaolong Liu Ph.D. student
- Mingkun Yang Ph.D. student (National PhD Fellowship 2019)
- Minghui Liao Ph.D. student (National Master Fellowship 2017, National PhD Fellowship 2019)
- Zhiyong Dou Ph.D. student
- Zhe Liu Ph. D student
Song Bai Ph.D. (National PhD Fellowship 2015, 2017) Dissertation: Context-based Afﬁnity Learning: Theory and Algorithms, defended on Feb. 3th, 2018. Now a postdoc at Oxford.
Baoguang Shi Ph.D. Dissertation: Deep Learning-Based Methods for Text Detection and Recognition in Natural Images, defended on May 24th, 2018. Now a researcher at Microsoft, Seattle.
Xinwei He Ph.D. Dissertation: Study on Multi-view based 3D Model Retrieval, defended on June 20th, 2020.
- Bo Wang, (2010) Hubei Province Excellent Undergradute Graduation thesis, now at Stanford University.
- Tianyang Ma, (2010) Undergradute Student, HUST; Ph.D. Temple Univerisity; Now at Amazon Company.
- Wei Shen (2013), Ph.D. HUST, Tencent Fellowship, co-supervised with Prof. Hongyuan Wang, now a faculty member of Shanghai University
- Xinggang Wang (2014), Ph.D. HUST, Microsoft Fellowship 2012, National PhD Fellowship, co-supervised with Prof. Wenyu Liu, Ass. Prof. of HUST
- Yu Zhou (2014), Ph.D. HUST, co-supervised with Prof. Wenyu Liu, now a faculty member of Beijing University of Post and Telecommunications
- Junwei Wang, Ph.D (2012), HUST co-supervised with Prof. Wenyu Liu, now at 709 Institute, Wuhan
- Chunyuan Li (2011), Undergradute Student, HUST; Now at Duke University
- Chen Shen (2013) , Master HUST, now at Temple University
- Cong Rao (2014) , Master HUST, National Master Fellowship, now at Temple University.
- Weichao Qiu (2014) , Master HUST, now at University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
- Yan Wang,(2011) Hubei Province Excellent Undergradute Graduation thesi, now at NTU
- Quanming Yao (2013), Hubei Province Excellent Undergradute Graduation thesis, now at HKUST
- Yueming Wang (2014), Master HUST, National Master Fellowship, now at Taobao Company, Hangzhou
- Yi Xiong (2014), Master HUST, now at Tencent Company, Shenzhen
- Changtao Wang (2013), Master HUST, worked in Baidu Company, Beijing
- Chao Cai (2013), Master HUST, now at Zhongyuan Electronic Information Corporation, Wuhan
- Le He (2015) Master HUST; now at Toutiao
- Tingwu Hou (2015) Master HUST; now at Huawei
- Xu Min (2014), Undergradute student, HUST; Now at Tsinghua University
- Yajun Gao (2011), Undergadute student, HUST; Georgio Insititute of Technology, Master. Now at Amazon
- Zhuotun Zhu (2015) Undergradute student, HUST, Young Microsoft Fellowship; Now at University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
- Zheng Zhang (2016), Master, HUST, National Master Fellowship 2015, Now at Microsoft, Suzhou.
- Chengquan Zhang (2016), Master, HUST, Now at Baidu, Shenzhen.
- Hongyang Wang (2016) Undergradute student, HUST. Now at Carnegie Mellon University (CMU)
- Pan Chen (2016) Ph.D., HUST, co-supervised with Prof. Wenyu Liu. Now a faculty member in Chinese University of Geosciences
- Duoyou Zhou (2017) Master, HUST, now at Toutiao
- Xiong Duan (2017) Master, HUST, now at Tencent
- Zhichao Zhou (2018) Master, HUST, National Master Fellowship 2017, now at Baidu
- Pei Xu (2018) Master, HUST, now at Tencent
- Pengyuan Lv (2018) Master, HUST, National Master Fellowship 2017, now at Tencent AI
- Lingyan Cui (2018) Master, HUST, now at Meituan
- Yang Yang (2018) Master HUST, Now at ...
- Jun Tang (2019) Master HUST, now at Alibaba
- Liang Wu (2019) Master HUST, now at SOGO
- Hongyun Lv (2019) Master HUST, now at ... .
- Song Ding (2019) Master HUST
- Zhen Zhu (2020) Master HUST, National Master Fellowship (18-19), now at UIUC.
- Tengteng Huang (2020) Master HUST, now at Megvii.
- Dejia Song (2020) Master HUST, now at Alibaba.
- JIajian Zhang (2020), Master HUST, now at Pinduoduo
- Liangliang Wang (2020), Master HUST, now at Toutiao
- Feifei Bian (2020), Master HUST, now at Xiaomi
- Mingzhou Zhang (2020), Master HUST
- Junjie Xu (2020), Master HUST
- Hui Zhang (2020), Master HUST, now at Paradigm